Real Estate 2012: Gimme Shelter
The boom has busted. Will the bust now boom? Check our annual look at what things cost where, and the life that Up North homes can inspire.
France vs. Italy
Two of the region’s premier chefs—French-born Guillaume Hazaël-Massieux of La Bécasse and Myles Anton of Trattoria Stella—square off each spring in a friendly and oh-so-tasty cookoff. We share.
Mountain bikers are showering national love on Copper Country trails, so we ground-truth the singletrack and meet the local pathway savant who's making the trail flow happen.
Plus! Northern Home & Cottage: Landscape as Living Art
- Country Elegance on Walloon Lake
- Integrating an Outdoor Kitchen
- Spring Style has the Blues
- Grounds fit for a (hip!) Hobbit House
- Up North: What's up with the Botanic Garden, Jack Driscoll's new book shows he knows Northerners too well, Pam Barnett can spread your ashes in the national park, how to look for raptors in love.
- April Events: Spring has sprung, bounce yourself to an event.
- Travel: Look for deals aplenty in restaurants and lodging Up North this month.
- Up in Michigan: A shiny brown snake in her house convinced Carrie it was time to move.
- Dining: Excite your spring palate with bona fide ethnic offerings.
- Local Foodie: Leeks and sunchoke soup, perfect complement to an April rain.
- Wine: Tim Tebeau shares intell on Northern Michigan chardonnays.
- Into the North: As improbable as it seems, spring comes every year.
This month, we revisit one of Deborah Wyatt Fellows's most popular columns:
Chasing the Moon
Tonight there is a full moon. ...
... It has been clear and cold, and everyone thought the moon would be brilliant. Instead, a haze of clouds dampens its luster, making its light diffuse and haunting.
Even dimmed, the moon confronts us in spite of ourselves up here, insisting we pay attention to its many permutations like a proud child pulling on our sleeve. It's different in the city, of course, where man-made lights are so bright the moon can't compete. As for the suburbs where I grew up, I don't remember the moon much at all.
The first time I remember being enchanted by the moon I was 11, sitting on the cottage porch late one night with my family. The water glistened under the single moonbeam that sliced the lake in half. My sisters, my brother and I got to musing with my mom about whether it was possible to follow the beam of the moon straight across the lake and what we might find on the other side. If she knew the answer, she didn't tell.…
... Read the rest of Deborah Wyatt Fellows's column to discover the magic of chasing the moon in Northern Michigan.
For a collection of Deborah Wyatt Fellows's most popular and treasured columns, including "Chasing the Moon" and accompanied with Traverse, Northern Michigan's Magazine's gorgeous photography, order a copy of her book, Reflections of a Life Up North, by clicking here.
- Calendars, Cards, Music & Videos
- Home & Cottage
- Magazines & Subscriptions
- Sleeping Bear Dunes Collection
- Local Foods
- Online Directories
- Health & Beauty
- Alden Mill House
- Becky Thatcher Designs
- Benjamin Twiggs
- Belle Banquet
- Dani Davis - Original Watercolor Prints
- Elizabeth Blair Fine Pearls
- FIREase LLC
- Grand Traverse Balloons
- Grand Traverse Culinary Oils
- Grand Traverse Tours
- Great Lakes Bath + Body
- Great Lakes Photo Tours
- Great Lakes Proud
- Grocer's Daughter
- jel designs
- Just Good Chocolate
- Korner Gem
- Leelanau Candle Co.
- Leland gal
- Leelanau Landscapes
- Michigan Awesome
- Michigan Nightlife
- Michigan Venison
- Northwoods Soda & Syrup Co.
- MyNorth Media
- ReFlamed Glassworks
- Shaggy's Copper Country Skis
- Smitten Designs Studio
- Smooth Stone Studios
- S&S Snowshoes
- Tee See Tee
- The Cort House
- Todd & Brad Reed Photography
- Wee Bee Jammin'
- WittPrint 3D