From the Ukraine With Love (& Holiday Recipes)
When Tanya Witkowski traced the 45th parallel from her home in Ukraine to Suttons Bay to make a new life, she brought dozens of beloved recipes, including the beautiful (and doable) holiday dishes she shares here.
A Good Winter Storm
Author Jerry Dennis explores the joy of winter's fury. An excerpt from his new book, The Windward Shore.
With her mother's old sewing machine sitting nearby for inspiration, Lizzi Lambert sat down to sew a pair of pants in her kitchen. And so begins the story of one of Northern Michigan's hottest fashion lines.
He made a lot of dough with a video camera you can strap to your head. Now David Ollila hopes backcountry skiers will love his fat-but-effective plastic ski.
Plus Northern Home & Cottage
- Sweet on Sweet Water
- Deep in the Heart of Boyne
- Slopeside at Shanty
- Home Sweet Homestead Penthouse,
- Elevated Northern Style: Kathleen White of UrHouzz
SHIPPING IS INCLUDED IN OUR PRICE
- Up North: The Winter Fest Super Guide. Find snowy fun in downtowns and ski resorts all across the Northern all winter long. (Hint: bring your bathing suit; there's a hole in the ice somewhere waiting for your polar bear-dipping self.)
- Travel: Rustic, yes, in a grand lodge sort of way. Perfect for a big family escape over the holidays
- Up in Michigan: His neighbor is a a rock star. Who knew?
- Dining: Holiday shopping calls for sustenance. Check Tim Tebeau's suggestions for where to fuel up, catch a midday meal and decompress with a beverage at shopping-day's end.
- Local Foodie:Roast veggies done perfectly--sublime.
- Wine:Advice on holiday pairings comes with these wine shops.
- Into the North: Pretty in White.
- Calendar of Events December events: Make memories at a holiday event.
- Restaurant Guide
- On The Cover:Win a Winter Vacay at Shanty Creek at MyNorth.com/2011winskigetaway
And of course Deborah Wyatt Fellows's column:
One Christmas we were overwhelmed with work and the relative chaos of three kids under five.
"As the holiday approached, we moved into efficiency mode--the kids circled things in catalogs, and we phoned in orders. Boxes arrived and we wrapped the contents. We seemed on target to have presents under the tree. But one box didn't arrive. Phone calls to the customer service department resulted in com assurances. And still, the box didn't arrive. So, one day after work I ran down the street to Toy Harbor thinking I would pick up some small things to replace the online order in case it didn't make it.
Even though I knew our local toy stores well, I was still shocked to see almost all of the items that we had ordered on the small shop's shelves--at the same prices. With no shipping or handling fees. And they gift wrapped. For free. …" Read the rest of Deborah Wyatt Fellows's column in this December 2011 issue of Traverse, Northern Michigan's Magazine, to learn how your holiday shopping supports the strength of our intact, caring, engaged, creative, picturesque towns and villages. SHIPPING INCLUDED
- Calendars, Cards, Music & Videos
- Home & Cottage
- Magazines & Subscriptions
- Sleeping Bear Dunes Collection
- Local Foods
- Online Directories
- Health & Beauty
- Alden Mill House
- Becky Thatcher Designs
- Belle Banquet
- Grand Traverse Balloons
- Grand Traverse Culinary Oils
- Grand Traverse Tours
- Great Lakes Bath + Body
- Great Lakes Photo Tours
- Great Lakes Proud
- Grocer's Daughter
- Higher Grounds
- Just Good Chocolate
- Korner Gem
- Leelanau Candle Co.
- Leland gal
- Love Smitten Designs
- Michigan Awesome
- Michigan Nightlife
- Michigan Venison
- Paperworks Studio
- Shaggy's Copper Country Skis
- Smooth Stone Studios
- S&S Snowshoes
- Todd & Brad Reed Photography
- Wee Bee Jammin'