We dish you up iced beauty in Northern Michigan—then tell you how to go find it for yourself.
In which Northern Michigan's Doug Stanton and the Traverse City National Writers Series teach the Big City publishing industry a thing or two about romancing the masses with books.
Confessions of a Ski League Slogger
The temperature was frigid, the slopes frozen, the beer cold and the Squirrel’s were in third place. Could a Northern Michigan evening get better?
Plus! Northern Home & Cottage: Modern North
- Designer Anna Wege Invites Us In
- Rurual Modern in Cherry Country
- A Home for the Ages
- Style: Betsie Bays' Timeless Look
- Up North: Aaron Peterson captures the Northern lights; toasting Madonna with a local foods Super Bowl hoagie, Sleeping Bear goes to the Golden Globes and more.
- February Events: Life in Northern Michigan is a gala Snow Ball this month. Here’s your dance card.
- Travel: Presidents’ Day Weekend blow-outs Up North.
- Up in Michigan: Ed Burling still holds the Michigan state record for most basketball points in one game. We’re talking 97. In 1911. Yep.
- Dining: Date Night Destinations in Northern Michigan
- Local Foodie: Brunch Salad
- Drinks: Raising a glass to sparkling wines in honor of the love month.
And, of course, Deborah Wyatt Fellows's column:
Write On …
One day, just as the leaves were beginning to change, Peter Matthiessen walked into our offices. ...
... The renowned novelist and nonfiction writer arrived with award-winning author Doug Stanton to tape a video interview for MyNorth.com, in anticipation of Matthiessen's National Writers Series appearance at the City Opera House in Traverse City. There was no pomp and circumstance. There were no agents doing advance public relations. They both opted for the coffee they walked in with. What was present was a couple of guys who are passionate about writing having a lovely conversation about Matthiessen's work, his travels and written lines that capture the mystery of the art and of life.
Hours later, Matthiesssen took to the stage of the City Opera House. And while he appeared before a packed house, the conversation had much of the same characteristics that took place in our office--relaxed, engaging, approachable dialog about the art of writing and the life of the writer. And that is by design. …
... Read the rest of Deborah Wyatt Fellows's column to discover the magic and passion supporting the National Writer's Series and what forces conspired to bring it to Traverse City.
- Calendars, Cards, Music & Videos
- Home & Cottage
- Magazines & Subscriptions
- Sleeping Bear Dunes Collection
- Local Foods
- Online Directories
- Health & Beauty
- Alden Mill House
- Becky Thatcher Designs
- Benjamin Twiggs
- Belle Banquet
- Dani Davis - Original Watercolor Prints
- Elizabeth Blair Fine Pearls
- FIREase LLC
- Grand Traverse Balloons
- Grand Traverse Culinary Oils
- Grand Traverse Tours
- Great Lakes Bath + Body
- Great Lakes Photo Tours
- Great Lakes Proud
- Grocer's Daughter
- jel designs
- Just Good Chocolate
- Korner Gem
- Leelanau Candle Co.
- Leland gal
- Leelanau Landscapes
- Michigan Awesome
- Michigan Nightlife
- Michigan Venison
- Northwoods Soda & Syrup Co.
- MyNorth Media
- Shaggy's Copper Country Skis
- Smitten Designs Studio
- Smooth Stone Studios
- S&S Snowshoes
- Tee See Tee
- The Cort House
- Todd & Brad Reed Photography
- Wee Bee Jammin'
- WittPrint 3D