Get your family skiing! We do mini-profiles on three families who share their downhill strategies--how to afford it, how to fit it into their schedules and more. Plus gear and deals galore.
TC’s Pied Piper of XC
Eli Brown has a plan: Take the smoldering XC ski scene here and turn it into a bonfire. We can smell the gasoline.
The bistro vibe seems invented for Northern Michigan—soulful, warm and sophisticated in both menu and vibe. We show off four that represent.
In the 235-year history of the United States, only eight Native Americans have served in Congress. Derek Bailey, Grand Traverse Band chairman, intends to be the ninth.
SHIPPING IS INCLUDED
- Up North: Skiing at Sugar Loaf? Something even your tire guy might not know about snow tires; buy this Boyne City house for your ski haven; the video camera you want to strap to your head.
- January Events: There’s snow fun all around. Get some.
- Travel: Cross-country ski getaways to the heart of winter.
- Up in Michigan: Man’s best friend
- Dining: Ski town pizza—Tebeau picks some tasty pies.
- Local Foodie: Kelly Lively’s lamb stew
- Drinks: Sampler: world class liquors distilled in the Mitten
- Into the North: It’s a marshmallow world.
And, of course, Deborah Wyatt Fellows's column:
I get it that a lot of people don't like November in Northern Michigan--here's why I think they are missing the boat. ...
... In a nutshell, there's an intimacy to Northern Michigan in November that's different from any other month. It is because of the character of elements, the quiet anticipation before the flurry of the holidays, the chance to wander a warm shop on a blustery day or bundle up and climb to the highest point you know just to feel the power of that bluster. Cabin fever? It's real, but avoidable. The key? Getting out--into our small towns and into nature. It might surprise you, but November is one of the loveliest times to be in our small villages--one reason I love that MyNorth Holidays comes with this issue. Fall color touring has passed, and the last minute holiday rush has yet to begin. It's as if these towns that are filled with holiday merchandise and anticipation, special shopping experiences and yes, availability of a table with a view for dinner exist just for those who venture out. ..." SHIPPING IS INCLUDED
- Calendars, Cards, Music & Videos
- Home & Cottage
- Magazines & Subscriptions
- Sleeping Bear Dunes Collection
- Local Foods
- Online Directories
- Health & Beauty
- Alden Mill House
- Becky Thatcher Designs
- Belle Banquet
- Grand Traverse Balloons
- Grand Traverse Culinary Oils
- Grand Traverse Tours
- Great Lakes Bath + Body
- Great Lakes Photo Tours
- Great Lakes Proud
- Grocer's Daughter
- Higher Grounds
- Just Good Chocolate
- Korner Gem
- Leelanau Candle Co.
- Leland gal
- Love Smitten Designs
- Michigan Awesome
- Michigan Nightlife
- Michigan Venison
- Paperworks Studio
- Shaggy's Copper Country Skis
- Smooth Stone Studios
- S&S Snowshoes
- Todd & Brad Reed Photography
- Wee Bee Jammin'