Get On the Water
Behind the Boat
We love to pull people on stuff behind the boat...two skis, one ski, wake boards, inner tubes, what else? We head to classic water ski resort White Birch Lodge to play with the possibilities.
S’Mores Gone Local
Sure, the S’more is a classic and all, but why not make it better? We round up recipes that’ll take your gooey treat at the campfire to a higher flavor plane.
One Captain, One Crewman
Ross Lang was a commercial fishing legend, running his boat Joy out of the Leland harbor. Then, one tragic day, after a career in fishing, he drowned. We sit down with Brian Price, who fished with Ross for more than a decade, to get a sense for this remarkable northern character.
The Isle of Bike
A bike is not just a bike on Mackinac Island. it’s a mobile expression of self, a pet, a friend, a piece of art...photographer and island summer resident Andrejka Hirschegger shares images and insight to reveal the secret world of bikes on Mackinac.
The Westmoreland sank in 1854, taking 17 lives with it and becoming one of the iconic ship tales of the Great Lakes. We go on the water with the shipwreck hunter who found it and here his tale of discovery.
Special Section: Traverse City Filmgoer
How to have the absolutely best time possible in Traverse City when you are here for the Film Festival. Eat, shop, party
Plus! Northern Home & Cottage
Photos from our Northern Home & Cottage Tour! PLUS: Dreamy images from the Victorian-era Bay View community.
SHIPPING IS INCLUDED
- Up North: Cherry scientist Nikki Rothwell shares intell on the crop collapse; sweet books for beach combing rock pickers, three Northern designers score in D.C., three fab August festivals.
- August Events: Music outdoors! Festivals! Farmers Markets! Summer full on.
- Travel: Kick back on a big ole summertimey porch. Here’s four inns where you can rock(er) on.
- Up in Michigan: Connecting the generations in a canoe.
- Dining: A bumper crop of new restaurants Up North. Food editor Tim Tebeau gives the rundown.
- Local Foodie: Lulu’s chef Henry Bisson shares an amazing (and, ok, somewhat elaborate) halibut recipe. Immerse. Indulge.
- Wine: New wineries are proliferating. Take a look at the expanding roster.
- Into the North: Summertime!
And, of course, Deborah Wyatt Fellows's column:
Three years ago, I wrote a tribute to our motorboat—the much-used, ever-loyal, red and white Rinker. As I wrote back then:
“Fifteen years (and several props later), the indomitable Rinker has provided us with experiences to cherish for a lifetime. Until we put it into the water for the first time I’d forgotten the sense of liberation found in skimming across the face of a lake. I’d spent so much of my adult life next to the water that I’d really stopped feeling the life spent on the water that marked my childhood summers …
... get this issue and read the rest of Deborah Wyatt Fellows's column ... SHIPPING INCLUDED
You might also be interested in
- Stocking Stuffers
- Calendars, Cards, Music & Videos
- Home & Cottage
- Magazines & Subscriptions
- Sleeping Bear Dunes Collection
- Local Foods
- Online Directories
- Health & Beauty
- Alden Mill House
- Becky Thatcher Designs
- Belle Banquet
- Deep Blue Coffee Company
- Grand Traverse Balloons
- Grand Traverse Culinary Oils
- Grand Traverse Tours
- Great Lakes Bath + Body
- Great Lakes Photo Tours
- Great Lakes Proud
- Grocer's Daughter
- Higher Grounds
- Just Good Chocolate
- Korner Gem
- Leelanau Candle Co.
- Leland gal
- Michigan Awesome
- Michigan Nightlife
- Michigan Venison
- Paperworks Studio
- Shaggy's Copper Country Skis
- Smooth Stone Studios
- S&S Snowshoes
- The Leelanau Wave
- Todd & Brad Reed Photography
- Wee Bee Jammin'