All over the norther, folks raft up their boats at sandbars and island shores to hangout, barbeque, play in the water and just love up the sun and water. We check out the scene and come back with their tips on food and watery frolic.
Dark Sky Park
Mary Adams loves the night sky and convinced Emmet County commissioners to name the Headlands a Dark Sky Park. We talk with Mary about her dream and celebrate the stars.
Doug Stanton Swimming Essay
New York Times best-selling author Doug Stanton shares thoughts about this daily swim in Grand Traverse Bay.
Bare Knuckle Farm
Chef Abra Berens helps run Bare Knuckle Farm in Northport and while also working at a hip Chicago restaurant. She lays out some super summer recipes during a lovely dinner on the farm.
Special Section: Traverse City Filmgoer
How to have the absolutely best time possible in Traverse City when you are here for the Film Festival. Eat, shop, party
Plus! Northern Home & Cottage
Photos from our Northern Home & Cottage Tour!
SHIPPING IS INCLUDED
- Up North: Jerry Dennis shares thoughts on Michigan rivers, gathering to love up those fling model airplanes, Manistee's Vogue Theare on the rise, Interlochen turns 50 (plus: hot band recommendations!)
- August Events: Hello, it's August. Soak. It. Up. Now!
- Travel: Where and how to sail into the sunset.
- Up in Michigan: An angst-ridden woods-dweller writer tires to find negativity amid the positivity, but finally realizes how dumb that is.
- Dining: New restaurants to check out. Plus: recipes for your Augst table.
- Outdoors: Easy, favorite canoe paddle trips from the author of Michigan's classic canoe guidebook.
- Wine: Crisp, fresh white wines to chill on dog-day afternoons.
- Into the North: Gosh, it's pretty Up North.
And, of course, Deborah Wyatt Fellows's column:
And Then There Were Fireflies...
When I started writing this column 28 years ago, I realized very quickly that the experiences I shared weren't unique; they were universal. This is borne out almost everyday. Just yesterday, somebody put "There was no filter!" under a Facebook photo, desperately wanting us to know that it really was that beautiful. And we all get it. And last night, someone shared a story with me about how the magic of the place appeared when he needed it most. And we all get it. It's a shorthand we share, an understanding that some moments are simply too magical to put into words. Sometimes those are shared with laughter or a glow, and sometimes they are shared with profound gratitude.
I've been thinking of those grateful moments for the last few weeks...
... get this issue and read the rest of Deborah Wyatt Fellows's column ... SHIPPING INCLUDED
You might also be interested in
Special Price: $28.00
Regular Price: $30.00
- Calendars, Cards, Music & Videos
- Home & Cottage
- Magazines & Subscriptions
- Sleeping Bear Dunes Collection
- Local Foods
- Online Directories
- Health & Beauty
- Alden Mill House
- Becky Thatcher Designs
- Benjamin Twiggs
- Belle Banquet
- Dani Davis - Original Watercolor Prints
- Elizabeth Blair Fine Pearls
- FIREase LLC
- Grand Traverse Balloons
- Grand Traverse Culinary Oils
- Grand Traverse Tours
- Great Lakes Bath + Body
- Great Lakes Photo Tours
- Great Lakes Proud
- Grocer's Daughter
- jel designs
- Just Good Chocolate
- Korner Gem
- Leelanau Candle Co.
- Leland gal
- Leelanau Landscapes
- Michigan Awesome
- Michigan Nightlife
- Michigan Venison
- Northwoods Soda & Syrup Co.
- MyNorth Media
- ReFlamed Glassworks
- Shaggy's Copper Country Skis
- Smitten Designs Studio
- Smooth Stone Studios
- S&S Snowshoes
- Tee See Tee
- The Cort House
- Todd & Brad Reed Photography
- Wee Bee Jammin'
- WittPrint 3D