Snow Days: Skiing and Snowboarding
Gear, Grub and Great Deals at Up North Slopes
Plus, Northern Home & Cottage's Feature on Northern Michigan's Most Famous House
December 2009 issue includes:
- Powder Play: Extreme hills. Hot rails. Steaming breakfasts. Snow-chilled martinis. Warren Miller shares a Michigan Memory. Olympian Julie Parisien shares gear picks. X-Gamer Morgan LaFonte says do push ups before you board. Our annual kick-off to skiing and snowboarding
- Winter's Nectar: The sweetest taste born in an Up North winter is harvested at daybreak on a 17-dgree December morning. Our intrepid wine reporter is there to share the moment and clip some frozen grapes herself.
- The Christmas Gift: His father had recently died, so 14-year-old Tony took it upon himself to round up a grouse and a pick for the holiday feast.
- A Sausage-Makers Craft: He'd had three heart attacks. He was depressed. He saw a dim future. Then Brian Neff started making sausage again, and his life was saved. We all can benefit.
- Northern Home & Cottage:See inside the internationally acclaimed Douglas House by Richard Meier; Boyne's Kathryn Kircher invites us in; styling with greens for the season.
- Up North: Our favorite French hairdresser advises on a holiday coiffure; Gabe Schneider, the snowboarding senate aide; Patty Cantrell tells D.C. what what with local foods; Northern Bookshelf gift ideas.
- Travel: Escape Up North for a weekend of shopping and small-town warmth.
- Up in Michigan: I'll give you a goat if you make my website ... bartering in the North Country.
- Dining: Sublime small plates for lighter dining during the season of feasts.
- In Season: Olives with orange and fennel.
- Wine: Fizzy wines for your festivities and a Q&A with Larry Mawby, the North's sparkling-wine savant.
- Outdoors: Why fur feels so warm.
- Into the North: Wind & Sea.
- Calendar of Events
- Restaurant Guide
- Founder Deb Wyatt Fellows' column
And of course Deborah Wyatt Fellows's column: "As the holiday season approaches, I've been thinking back to a Friday night in October. It had been a long time since I'd driven south from Northern Michigan on I-75 on a Friday night. But there we were heading downstate just a the start of the color season. ..."
- Northern Michigan Gifts--Traverse City, too!
- Home & Cottage
- Magazines & Subscriptions
- Sleeping Bear Dunes Collection
- Local Foods
- Northern Michigan Wedding Gifts