12 Summer Weekend Getaways Issue12 Summer Weekend Getaways Mountain biking Mackinac Island, wine sipping on Old Mission, beach tripping on North Manitou--real people share their favorite escapes. Florines' for Dinner At the Weight Watchers celeb's Up North cottage, meals are slim on calories, full of flavor, and rich with happy traditions. HUP All Night It's a crazy job but somebody has to feed and care for the 90-some teams who paddle-it out in the 120-mile, all-night AuSable River Canoe Marathon. Summers on Sleeping Bear Bay Once upon a time, way back in the 1920's in a clapboard cottage on Lake Michigan there were lake breezes and starry nights, and, well, things weren't all that different... Destination North Channel Kate and Justin pack up the kids and the passports for a magical ride from Harbor Springs to Killarney, Canada, via the big blue freshwater seas
- Up North:Surf wax goes green, classical music on a wild island, beach reads and more.
- July Events:Festivals, fireworks and fairs; the laundry can wait.
- Travel:Cherry-flavored getaways.
- Up in Michigan:Lessons from a wolf tracker.
- Dining:The best alfresco meals.
- Local Foodie:Pete Peterson's recipe for warm vegetable salad.
- Wine:Tasting Old Mission.
- Outdoors:Riding the paddleboard wave. And, of course, Deborah Wyatt Fellows's column:
Plus:Northern Real Estate
SHIPPING IS INCLUDED
One night, in the summer of 1998, my husband, Neal, disappeared.There was nothing nefarious at play, unless you are me and know that Neal's leaving in the evening while pulling our small red trailer means I'm in for a surprise. On this night he came down the driveway with a very tall, very turquoise pool slide perched precariously in the small trailer. It was a roadside find: a gem for only $50. We had three children at that point, all little boys under the age of 7, and as I watched him untying the slide I was overtaken by the yin and yang of motherhood. How wonderful for life on the lake! Is that thing as tall as it looks? Maybe it is actually dangerous. But it's a classic. Not if a child totters over the side it isn't. Plus, it is ugly. ...
... get this issue to discover the events that ensue for Deborah Wyatt Fellows, her family, and the "very tall, very turquoise pool slide" ...
- Northern Michigan Gifts--Traverse City, too!
- Home & Cottage
- Magazines & Subscriptions
- Sleeping Bear Dunes Collection
- Local Foods
- Northern Michigan Wedding Gifts