10 Summer Escapes
Summer Sojourns Kick back on a soft, sandy beach; hike on a rocky, wilderness isle; kayak to a waterfall cascading into a vast lake. Your summer bliss awaits in one of these 10 escapes!
In Pursuit! Larry Warbasse built his bike legs on the hilly byways of Old Mission Peninsula; now he’s one of American cycling’s next big hopes.
Fresh Fish, Today June Cross, the matriarch of iconic Cross Fisheries, welcomes us behind the scenes and shares summer-perfect fish recipes.
Into the Wind TC’s Ed Reynolds has taken Quantum Sails to the pinnacle of world sail racing. Here’s the dramatic backstory.
His Water Incognito Legendary Yooper John Voelker—author, judge, fly-fisherman—and his mysterious Frenchman’s Pond.
2012 Northern Michigan Real Estate
SHIPPING IS INCLUDED
- Up North: Grand Hotel chief Dan Musser shares thoughts on the hotel’s 125th anniversary; Cottage Books shares six fab summer reads; our picks for Cherry Fest must-do’s; Napoleon Chagnon on the march!
- July Events: Farmers markets! Festivals! Outdoor music! Indulge!
- Travel: It’s a more-historic-than-ever summer on Mackinac Island. Plan a visit.
- Up in Michigan: Life is a turtle made of sand.
- Dining: Steakhouses. Choice cuts for your summer vacay.
- Grilling: Tips from Ken Burritt; lamb kebab advice from Zakey's.
- Recipes: Fruits of Summer. Muskmelon and port, berry purses, nectarine delights.
- Local Foodies: Perfect gazpacho from Grandview Catering.
- Wine: Northern reds are on a breakout. Check these summer sips.
- Outdoors: Camping for the camping clueless.
- Into the North: Come on in, the water’s fine!
And, of course, Deborah Wyatt Fellows' column:
Beating the Odds
I first “met” Matt and Keegan Myers in 2002...
...through a “loupe,” the old magnifier that looks like a shot glass that we used to place on film proofs to get a better look. Looking at photos through a loop was like exposing small worlds and, that day, I was transported to a path through dune grass leading to a gorgeous Lake Michigan. Oh, and there were a couple of very handsome brothers, Matt and Keegan Myers, turning to look at the camera, carrying their kite boards. Traverse was at the beach that day for a magazine story featuring the brothers’ new business, Broneah Kiteboarding, created to celebrate and teach a sport they loved. The photos from the shoot were fantastic and the small creative group gathered in the art department knew we had our August, 2002 Traverse cover.
As legend has it, Keegan was wearing a T-shirt in the cover photo that was made on a lark and that had the M22 logo on it....
To read the rest of Deborah Wyatt Fellows column...order your copy of the July 2012 issue of Traverse, Northern Michigan's Magazine.
- Calendars, Cards, Music & Videos
- Home & Cottage
- Magazines & Subscriptions
- Sleeping Bear Dunes Collection
- Local Foods
- Online Directories
- Health & Beauty
- Alden Mill House
- Becky Thatcher Designs
- Benjamin Twiggs
- Belle Banquet
- Dani Davis - Original Watercolor Prints
- Elizabeth Blair Fine Pearls
- FIREase LLC
- Grand Traverse Balloons
- Grand Traverse Culinary Oils
- Grand Traverse Tours
- Great Lakes Bath + Body
- Great Lakes Photo Tours
- Great Lakes Proud
- Grocer's Daughter
- jel designs
- Just Good Chocolate
- Korner Gem
- Leelanau Candle Co.
- Leland gal
- Leelanau Landscapes
- Michigan Awesome
- Michigan Nightlife
- Michigan Venison
- Northwoods Soda & Syrup Co.
- MyNorth Media
- Shaggy's Copper Country Skis
- Smitten Designs Studio
- Smooth Stone Studios
- S&S Snowshoes
- Tee See Tee
- The Cort House
- Todd & Brad Reed Photography
- Wee Bee Jammin'
- WittPrint 3D