Red Hot Best Issue
Red Hot Best Best fireman, best ethnic food, best dance bar, best romantic overlook, best redhead girl...you voted in 100 categories on our website, MyNorth.com. We share the sizzling results. "Aanii" [hello] Kenny Pheasant made it his mission to resurrect the Native American language in Northern Michigan two decades ago. Here's why he can't quit. Idea Farm What is agri-tourism anyway? At Pond Hill farm, the Spencers are checking out the possibilities big time. River of Words In the heart of Hemingway's boyhood realm, the Bear River Writer's Conference has quickly ascended to become one of the nation's premier writing gatherings. Insider Tim Tebeau shares the journey weird and wonderful.
Northern Home & Cottage
Lakeside Living Building Sanctuary Architect Robert Jamieson designed serenity incarnate on the Lake Michigan shore, even as he was at the über-stressful helm of the design team for the World Trade Center Memorial. Traditional, Relaxed An energetic designer and a talented renovation crew channel the inner (and outer) élan of a 1980's raised ranch. Cali Connection A gorgeous Lake Charlevoix-side composite of stone, rafter tails and Craftsman windows manages to be reminiscent of Yosemite's Ahwahnee Hotel--while establishing its own historic identity.
- Chicago and Traverse City Interior designer Shane Inman lets us in on his personal style.
- Up North:Helmet on, paddle ready--Petoskey's new whitewater park, confessions of a piping plover extremist, why northern strawberries are so crazy good, 50 years of heads-in-beds for Stafford and Janice Smith.
- June Events:The light lingers forever, and summer events abound.
- Travel:Where to gather when you got a giant crew a-coming.
- Up in Michigan:Kate Bassett tries to convince her family to garden. The dung pile awaits.
- Dining:Restaurants soaked in classic summertime. Plus: The Restaurant Guide.
- Local Foodie:Stuffed grape leaves.
- Wine:Leelanau's wine trail.
- Outdoors:Mountain bike mojo: ride harder, get fitted to your steed, hammer these two trails.
- Into the NorthSunspot on the Sleeping Bear Dunes.
- On The Cover:Interlochen presents Summer Arts Festival 2011.
And, of course, Deborah Wyatt Fellows's column:
Ready for a Red Hot Summer?
Our Red Hot 100 Best of Northern Michigan results are in!:
In this issue, you are getting 14 pages of outstanding winners in categories from Best New Restaurant to Best Room with a View to Best Car Mechanic. It is a glorious celebration of Northern Michigan food and wine, places, events, services and people. What an amazing ride this Red Hot Best has been. We put the ballot up on MyNorth.com in February and when we stopped the voting one month later, 8,392 people had voted. And they hadn't just voted, they had added 7,490 nominations of their own along the way. Congratulations to the 300 first, second and third place winners you'll find in this issue. It was truly a hearty competition. ... ... get this issue and read the rest of Deborah Wyatt Fellows's column ...
- Northern Michigan Gifts--Traverse City, too!
- Home & Cottage
- Magazines & Subscriptions
- Sleeping Bear Dunes Collection
- Local Foods
- Northern Michigan Wedding Gifts