Red Hot Best Issue
Red Hot Best
Best shop for cocktail dresses, best car mechanic, best beach... 100 categories to live in Northern Michigan. 12,532 voters. We unveil the top three vote getters in each category.
Lilacs of Eden
People love Mackinac Island. Lilacs love Mackinac Island. Celebrate the serendipity during the blooming glory of Lilac Festival. (Cool history!)
Next Gen Farm Girl
Nikki Rothwell—young, smart, obsessed with bugs (Ph.D. to prove it)—is shaping the orchard of the future from a world-class research center in Leelanau County.
Call of Small Waters
Poet and essayist Bob Butz reflects on the adventurous joys and shrubby consternation of fishing tiny threads of water that flow through our forestlands.
Jake Bright grew up in the kitchen and dining room of his family’s Mabel’s Restaurant. He looks back at lessons learned and direction gained.
Plus! Northern Home & Cottage
Waterfront living. Inspiring ideas from three gorgeous homes.
Artist's Home in Harbor Springs
Zen on Old Mission
Torch Lake Lodge
- Up North: The status of red wines Up North, with Lee Lutes of Black Star Farms. Do it right: the long romantic summer lunch. Boost your cuisine with an easy herb pot on your deck. For kids: a sand-pail beach lesson about the Great Lakes.
- June Events: The solstice days are long and the fun is big.
- Travel: Red hot ideas for Up North getaways.
- Up in Michigan: When the forager beckoned …
- Dining: Morning, noon and night. A day of dining with our Red Hot winners, the Story of Mabel's Restaurant, plus recipe for Whitefish Boil
- Local Foodie: Recipe for poached duck eggs with wild leeks and spinach, by Red Hot chef Eric Patterson of Cooks’ House.
- Wine: Step inside some Red Hot Best wine bars. Plus: tips from top sommelier Amanda Danielson.
- Outdoors: Upper Peninsula fishing guide Brad Petzke talks flies, big fish and Michigan outback.
- Into the North: Sweet Summertime
And, of course, Deborah Wyatt Fellows's column:
Red Hot & Moving On Up!
Lizzi Lambert, founder of the Northern Michigan clothing company Hasystacks, ...
... is a creative entrepreneur of the highest order: a mixture of perfectionist and pragmatist, of promise doused with an undercurrent of ever-present panic. Lizzi dreamed up Haystacks from her farmhouse in Leelanau County, and lighte burned at all hours above a shop in Leland where she designed and sewed the styles that have become valued by people around the country. Lizzi has opened four stores in Northern Michigan and recently one in Connecticut. And given all this, when we called her about designing the little red hot dress worn on this month's cover, she dove in with all the passion and creative spirit that had driven Haystacks to such success.
I write all this because the story of the dress and all that goes with it personifies who we are as we produce this anniversary issue, our 33rd June issue of Traverse, Northern Michigan's Magazine. ...
... get this issue and read the rest of Deborah Wyatt Fellows's column ...
- Home & Cottage
- Magazines & Subscriptions
- Music & Videos
- Sleeping Bear Dunes Collection
- Local Foods
- Online Directories
- Health & Beauty
- Featured Retailers