Local Foods All-Stars Our region has received national attention as among the hottest local foods realms anywhere. We introduce 10 people helping lead the way.
The Boardman Pond Drawdown The lovely Boardman Pond was drained to allow removal of aging dams and to restore river habitat. Photographer Mark Lindsay captured the ethereal beauty. We discuss what is the largest dam removal project in the nation today.
Zoo to Mac A profile of the culture and fun surrounding this classic bike tour that gets thousands of cyclists on the road from Boyne Highland's Zoo Bar to Mackinac Island in May. Also: sidebar roundup of other great bike tours around Northern Michigan.
Great Lakes Boat Building School We hang out with visionary man who made the Great Lakes Boat Building School in Les Cheneaux and instant icon in America's wooden boat building world when it opened four years ago.
SHIPPING IS INCLUDED
- Up North: Fresh morel cookbook, the USDA says we're heating up, a Leelanau land baron donates a 506-acre easement to the conservancy, reflections on best-selling author Jeffrey Zaslow's final book tour appearance.
- May Events: It's the season to step out and bloom.
- Travel: We've got your Mother's Day.
- Up in Michigan: Time warps in an ancient churchyard.
- Dining: Plating up spring's cuisine and a chat with Phil Murray, of Phil's on Front.
- Local Foodie: Duck egg and lamb hash for a lazy spring brunch.
- Wine: Celebrating the North's new releases.
- Into the North: Enjoy a sublime May moment.
And, of course, Deborah Wyatt Fellows' column:
In Love With Local
Every summer when I was young...
...both my older sisters worked in Northern Michigan restaurants several miles from our cottage. Many times a day, my mom and I would ferry my sisters to and from work. And at least once, but often two times a day, my mom and I would stop to buy a quart fo cherries, a pint of peaches or a bunch of asparagus from the self-serve farm stands we passed along the way.
All summer we delighted in fresh tomatoes and cucumbers swimming in vinegar, the sweetest corn on the cob, tender asparagus and of course, fruit. We bought so much local produce that the farmers who put out cherries at our favorite stand actually gave us our own tree...
Discover how you can fall in love with Northern Michigan's local produce...order your copy of the May 2012 issue of Traverse, Northern Michigan's Magazine and read the rest of Deborah Wyatt Fellows' column.
- Stocking Stuffers
- Calendars, Cards, Music & Videos
- Home & Cottage
- Magazines & Subscriptions
- Sleeping Bear Dunes Collection
- Local Foods
- Online Directories
- Health & Beauty
- Alden Mill House
- Becky Thatcher Designs
- Belle Banquet
- Deep Blue Coffee Company
- Great Lakes Bath + Body
- Great Lakes Photo Tours
- Great Lakes Proud
- Grocer's Daughter
- Higher Grounds
- Just Good Chocolate
- Korner Gem
- Leelanau Candle Co.
- Leland gal
- Michigan Awesome
- Michigan Nightlife
- Michigan Venison
- Paperworks Studio
- Shaggy's Copper Country Skis
- Smooth Stone Studios
- S&S Snowshoes
- The Leelanau Wave
- Todd & Brad Reed Photography
- Wee Bee Jammin'