Gifts & Entertaining Up North 2011 With gift ideas from our editors, special drink recipes to bring on the holiday cheer and what to do this season in all your favorite Northern Michigan towns, including outdoor fun like snowshoeing Sleeping Bear Dunes, ice skating and tubing.
Plus MyNorth Medical Insider
Includes the Best Doctors and topDentists Lists
A select look at treatments, teams and procedures that keep Northern Michigan medicine rated among the best in the nation.
Includes the Ultimate Up North Kitchen Tour Preview One of America’s biggest off-road cycling races happens right here in November. We ask writer and cyclist Kandace Chapple to share the race in a glorious first person account.
Mac & Cheese
On one Saturday each November, the wineries of Old Mission invite people in to chow on some over-the-top macaroni and cheese and drink some wine. We share the vitality of the event and some recipes that will comfort-food-ize your late autumn dinners.
Eric Daigh: Northern Michigan's Own Art Prize
Artist Eric Daigh made headlines in 2009 when he won 3rd place in Grand Rapids’ people-get-to-vote art contest. His career has done great things since and he’s branching out into new media. Traverse Magazine checks it out.
Plus: MyNorth Medical Guide with Best Docs and Top Dentists Traverse Magazine explores Northern Michigan health care innovations from Cardiology to Dentists with big hearts
SHIPPING IS INCLUDED
- Up North:Campy calendar for a good cause, downhill on Shaggy's skis (made in Northern Michigan), empire building at Cherry Republic, buy your fresh turkey here.
- November Events: Enlightened ways to brighten those dark evenings.
- Travel: Round-up the gal pals and cozy up for a weekend Up North. Travel editor Lisa Doublestein has fab recommendations (including one for the huntresses among us).
- Up in Michigan: Patrick and the 53 pound turkey
- Dining: Destination bakeries. A lovely loaf on the holiday table is a powerful touch. We’re lucky Up North, because we have amazing bakers aplenty. Taste the floured bounty.
- Drinks: We drink to seasonal brews.
- Local Foodie: A brined turkey is a sublime turkey. Here’s our pick for a brine kit and tips for using it from the spice maker herself.
- Into the North Trail of leaves.
And, of course, Deborah Wyatt Fellows's column:
I get it that a lot of people don't like November in Northern Michigan--here's why I think they are missing the boat. ...
... In a nutshell, there's an intimacy to Northern Michigan in November that's different from any other month. It is because of the character of elements, the quiet anticipation before the flurry of the holidays, the chance to wander a warm shop on a blustery day or bundle up and climb to the highest point you know just to feel the power of that bluster. Cabin fever? It's real, but avoidable. The key? Getting out--into our small towns and into nature. It might surprise you, but November is one of the loveliest times to be in our small villages--one reason I love that MyNorth Holidays comes with this issue. Fall color touring has passed, and the last minute holiday rush has yet to begin. It's as if these towns that are filled with holiday merchandise and anticipation, special shopping experiences and yes, availability of a table with a view for dinner exist just for those who venture out. ..." SHIPPING IS INCLUDED
- Northern Michigan Gifts--Traverse City, too!
- Home & Cottage
- Magazines & Subscriptions
- Sleeping Bear Dunes Collection
- Local Foods
- Northern Michigan Wedding Gifts