Leelanau’s Cycling Valhalla
The (pure) poetry of pedaling the peninsula. Also, where to eat, sleep and rest your seat.
Craig Lake on the Fly
Men v. muskie in the Upper Peninsula wilds.
Fall Foodie Getaway
Savoring September in the Little Traverse Bay region.
Weekends on the Fresh Coast
Let Ed Wargin’s stunning photographs sweep you off to a Great Lakes getaway.
Plus! MyNorth Estate & Financial Planning
Meet the professionals in your community ready to help you with life’s essential financial matters.
- Up North: We’ll drink a Bloody Mary (Sunday brunch at Traverse City’s InsideOut Gallery) to a season of Cosby and Coppélia, Tomlin and Tchaikovsky—a lineup that even introduces us to Ayaan Hirsi Ali, author of Infidel.
- September Events: Out, about and lingering amid summer’s finale.
- Travel: Artful escapes.
- Up in Michigan: Stealing a memory but leaving no trace on the Black River.
- Dining: Browsing the North’s vegetarian bounty at harvest time.
- Local Foodie: Fall transition: Fred Laughlin of the Great Lakes Culinary Institute offers up Apple-Glazed Barbecued Chicken.
- Wine: Meet the Northern Michigan 9.
- Into the North: Pretty in September.
And, of course, Deborah Wyatt Fellows's column:
Raising kids in the country meant I gave up one key component of my childhood: Concrete. No sidewalks. No paved driveways. Our little ones grew up gamely navigating their tricycles and Cozy Coups through rutted dirt punctuated with stones or, worse, through spring mud. They learned to ride two-wheelers that had mountain bike tires and our version of “letting them go” was not to watch them glide seamlessly into the horizon but rather to watch them bump and waver down the dirt road, their spindly arms braced in an attempt to control the handle bars. Our kids didn’t label it “the bumpy road,” for nothing, a label that endures to this day. Under the heading of “you don’t miss what you don’t know,” our kids spent hours flying down the bumpy road with all the abandon other kids find bike riding on pavement …
... get this issue and read the rest of Deborah Wyatt Fellows's column ...
You might also be interested in
Check items to add to the cart or select all
- Northern Michigan Gifts--Traverse City, too!
- Home & Cottage
- Magazines & Subscriptions
- Sleeping Bear Dunes Collection
- Local Foods
- Northern Michigan Wedding Gifts