Plus! MyNorth Estate & Financial Planning
Meet the professionals in your community ready to help you with life’s essential financial matters.
- Up North: Our 2013 autumn arts and events preview. Wow! So much fun stuff to do!
- September Events: Last official month of summer—grab hold now, friends.
- Travel: Artful weekends away Up North.
- Up in Michigan: Instincts bond a family and their bird dogs; James McCullough explores.
- Dining: Delicious eats in wine country.
- Local Foodie: Chef Jon Krol of Burritt's shares his recipe for Heirloom Tomato Parfait with Prosciutto Bacon.
- Wine: New wineries! Check 'em out.
- Into the North: A September slant of light.
And, of course, Deborah Wyatt Fellows's column:
Inspiration is Everywhere
"You're lucky if you ever truly experience inspiration. Even then, you might not recognize it. You ahve to make it an active effort to look for beautiful things. But they're everywhere."
This quote jumped out at me in Carrie Tebeau's profile this month of a painter Caesar Citraro, who spent 20 years working for the Art Institute of Chicago restoring and caring for world-class works of art, before moving North and focusing on his own art. I'm focused lately on being intentional in the effort to see beauty, or wonder or inspiration. Maybe life these days is so busy that I sense I have to be more intentional. Maybe it's age and with it comes a different kind of appreciation that acknoledges this won't actually go on forever. Mayb it is that this region is simply awing me every day with what is placed on our table--be it beauty, food, art, music--and I'm amazed that all we have to do is show up, be present, pick it up. Maybe it's simply because reflecting the inspiration foudn in this region has been my life's work and I'm honestly more committed than ever to the need for it in our lives. ...
... get this issue and read the rest of Deborah Wyatt Fellows's column ...
- Northern Michigan Gifts
- Magazines, Books & More
- Home & Cottage
- Local Foods